Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why I am a farmer

I am a farmer because I take responsibility for putting food on YOUR families' table as well as my own.  Yep, if I don't do my job, you don't eat.  Well, that's the gist of it at least.  American farmers are farming significantly less land today than 50 years ago, but producing so much more off that same land.  We have the smallest cow herd since the mid 1900s, but we produce more beef that ever before.  We have taken the responsibility to feed the world seriously, and we have stuck to it.

By the year 2050, the world's population will reach 9 billion people.  Many of the countries that are growing in size are also increasing their demand for protein.  We export 30% of the beef produced in the US, and 25% of the pork produced in the US.  Soy and corn percentages are also high on the export side.  We are truly feeding the world.

American's can take pride in the fact that US farmers produce the most abundant and SAFEST food supply in the world.  It certainly makes me feel better about what I am feeding my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment