Tuesday, January 3, 2012

farm mommy

Today is one of those days when I feel pulled so many directions.  I haven't met a fellow mommy yet who has managed to maintain a one thing at a time life.  Today is truly my "farm mommy" day. 

First of all, it's our first day back to school after the Christmas holiday.  This is the first day I have had to set my alarm for 6 days.  Even though most days I was up before my alarm would have gone off anyway, it seems worse to be woken up by an alarm.  Per usual, it was mom getting up to wake everyone up, too.  This means lots of heads covered up by pillows, lights turned back off, and blankets pulled back up.  Yet, we made it.  Somehow we managed to be out the door early this a.m.  Maybe it's because I was excited and got lunches packed last night before I went to bed.  Maybe.

Anyhow, I got the girls dropped at school, Nolan dropped at Grandma's, then headed in to volunteer in Bella's classroom for an hour.  I helped assess the kids on the dumb RTI pre-tests.  Then headed back to get Nolie and went straight to the barn. 

Here at the barn, we are testing for PRRS, a respiratory illness, by doing saliva rope tests.  So much fun to wring pig spit out of ropes, but it's better than bloodwork.  We are working with Dr. Noel today, who seems like a really great guy.  We take pride in making sure that every animal in our buildings is healthy, so it is nice to get to work with a veterinary group who feels the same way. 

The rest of my day is planned out like this.  Head home, get lunch for Nolie, try to get him to take a nap while I do dishes, laundry, and continue to try to find places for all the new toys the kids got for Christmas.  Go back to get the girls from school, head home, finish supper, bath time, bedtime, more laundry, catch up on dvr shows and try to stay awake.  First day back to work this year is tomorrow.

Despite the craziness, I love getting to spend the time doing what I do.  Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment