Monday, March 12, 2012

A Humble Victory

I was honored last Wednesday when my project was chosen for the National Patient Safety week challenge.  In all honesty, all of the projects were wonderful, and I'm not even sure how mine ended up on top.

My project, presentation, etc., are all from 7 years of hard work in pulling together and trying to implement an "actual" Oral Hygiene Protocol and Free Water Protocol.  **Note, we do not currently charge patients for water...it's free--as in unrestricted**.  The gist is that if patients are on thickened liquids and we do strict oral hygiene (at least three times each day) they can have thin water between their meals.  We as a staff are responsible for offering water to those patients more frequently.  The benefit is less post admission infections, better patient outcomes, and shorter acute care stays!

So, anyhow, again, I am humbled and honored to have been chosen for this award.  I am over the moon that some of the physicians have already begun to write orders.  I think we are on the way to even better patient care here at MCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment